- All pistol permits need to be recertified, every five years, from the date of issue, per Penal Law 400.00 (10)(b).
- Currently permits issued before January 15, 2013.
- Must complete by January 31, 2018.
- No fee to complete the process.
- View the letter mailed to permit holders - Click here.
- Complete online or by mail.
- Forms are available at NYS Police locations, the Cortland County Clerk's Office or click here to download and print.
- For more information, questions and answers, click here.
- Click here to view additional information from the Cortland County Clerk - Elizabeth Larkin.
In New York State, a license is needed to possess a handgun at home, at a place of business, and to carry the handgun concealed.
The Cortland County Clerk's Office issues and receives all applications and amendments for pistol permits. Judge William F. Ames and Judge Julie A. Campbell are the licensing officers of handguns, and licensing is completely within their discretion.
A license may be granted if the applicant:
- 21 years of age or older (age requirement does not apply to those honorably discharged from the military).
- Must reside, be principally employed or have a principal place of business as a merchant or storekeeper in Cortland County.
- Is of good moral character and has not been convicted of a "serious" offense (incl. violations and misdemeanors as set forth in section 265 Subd. 17, PL.)
- States if and when treatment received for a mental illness.
- Has "no good cause" existing for denial of the license.
Available at the Cortland County Clerk's Office for $10.
- Schedule an Appointment: Fingerprinting Service website or by calling their toll free call center at 1-877-472-6915. ORI Number: NY011013J
- Fee is approximately $100
- Two forms of identification at the fingerprinting location. At least one of these must have a photo.
- Completed application must be submitted to the Cortland County Clerk's office within 30 days of being fingerprinted.
Pistol permit photos for new applications may be taken at the County Clerk’s Office for a fee of $10.
Must include make, model, caliber and serial number of each handgun.
$3 for each amendment to permit.
$5 for a duplicate card.
Permit TransferRequest a transfer with the County where the permit currently is active.
Call Janet Herrick at 607-753-5379.