Department of Motor Vehicles
The Cortland County Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is a revenue generating office, bringing in dollars for your county. The majority of the money collected in the Cortland County DMV goes to New York State, with only 12.7% staying in Cortland County. That's why it is so important that all county residents renew locally!
DMV Drop Boxes
Use one of our conveniently located blue and white DMV Drop Boxes for your next renewal.
DMV Drop Boxes are at the following locations:
- Cortlandville Town Hall
- Homer Town Hall
- Cortland Courthouse
- Marathon Town Hall
Get your driver's license or registration renewal back in three business days, not the three weeks or longer it takes to come back from Albany!
On September 16, 2008, the New York State of Motor Vehicle Office began issuing Enhanced Drivers Licenses, Learners Permits, and Non-Driver Identification Cards. These highly secure documents are valid for driving, identity, and border crossings by land and sea to Mexico, Canada, Bermuda and the Caribbean. This document will also allow you access to board an airplane to fly within the continental United States.
To obtain one of these documents, you will need to apply in person at our Motor Vehicle office and provide proof of citizenship, identity and residence. For information on these requirements, you may visit our office and obtain forms ID-44EDL and MV44.1EDL. You may also obtain these forms by visiting the NYS DMV website. The cost of an EDL is $30 in addition to any other driver's license and document fees.
The Cortland County DMV offers issuance of Driver's Licenses of all kinds:
- Regular Operator Licenses (Class D)
- Junior Operator Licenses (Class DJ)
- Commercial Operators Licenses (Class A, B, C)
- With endorsements
- Motorcycle Licenses (Class M)
- Enhanced Drivers License
Please note that new standards are in place for identification requirements as of February 1, 2002. To obtain a non-driver ID card, driver license or learner permit or to register a vehicle, you are required to show 6 points of ID for proof of name, and one proof of date of birth. This is a state regulation. For more information on acceptable proof of name and date of birth please refer to the NYS DMV website.
- Registrations for boats, snowmobiles, trailers, tractors, and all types of vehicles
- Transfer of new and used vehicles
- Enforcement Transactions (conditional and restricted licenses)
- Written tests for Learner Permits (all classes)
- Road test appointments arranged
- IRP transactions (tractor trailers)
- Reciprocity (transferring from another state to NY.S.)
- Car Dealer's transactions
- Renewal of all vehicle and operator's licenses
- Non-Driver ID (secure form of identification)
- Voter Registration
- Vision tests given and new photos recommended for renewal and duplicate licenses.