Voting in Cortland County
Registering to Vote
To register to vote you must:
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Be 18 years of age by December 31 of the year in which you register. NOTE: In order to vote, you must be 18 years old by the day of the election in which you want to vote.
- Be a resident of the county for at least 30 days before the election.
- Not be in jail or on parole for a felony conviction.
How Do I Register?
You can obtain a mail registration form by calling 607-753-5032. Forms are also available at most government offices, post offices and libraries. Complete the form and mail it to your County Board of Elections. You may also register in person at your County Board of Elections.
You need to re-register to vote if:
- You moved out of the county
- Change your name
- Change your party enrollment
How Do I Indicate My Choice of a Party?
You use the same form as you do for registering to vote. In Section 1, indicate that you are filing either a new registration or a change of enrollment; then complete Section 10.
Note: If you are already registered and are filing a change of enrollment, the change will not take effect until after the next November general election.
You can register in person at your county board of elections on any business day except election day. If you want to vote in a election, you must mail or deliver this form to your county board of elections no later than 25 days before the election in which you want to vote. Your eligibility to vote will be based on the date you file this form, and your county board will notify you of your eligibility.