- Human Services
- Veteran's Office
- About Veterans Services
About Veterans Services
About Veterans Services
The mission of Veterans Services is to provide professional services for military veterans and their dependents and survivors who are entitled to benefits from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs, the State of New York, and other agencies as applicable.
The Veterans Service Office was established to serve the veteran population of Cortland County. The office assists veterans and their dependents and survivors to obtain benefits from the federal, state and local agencies administering programs for veterans, and provides advocacy to the veterans community regarding entitlement rights to federal, state and local benefits programs.
Veterans Benefits and Services
The Veterans Services Office provides these services and helps with the following benefits:
Services offered through the Veterans office:
- Comprehensive benefits counseling
- Claims preparation and submission
- Claims follow-up to ensure final decisions
- Initiate and develop appeals when appropriate
- Networking and advocacy with federal, state and local agencies
Information and referral for the following:
- Public assistance
- Veterans Affairs medical care
- Military installations Retired Activities Office
- Homeless issues
- Disability transition assistance counseling at the Naval Medical Hospital, San Diego
- Certification of discharge papers (DD-214) for filing claims with the VA.
Assistance offered in filing for the following benefits:
- Compensation (service-related injuries or disease).
- Re-open compensation claim for increase or re-evaluation.
- Dependency and Indemnity Compensation for survivors (based upon service-connected disability or death).
- Nonservice-connected pension (for war era veterans only).
- Death pension (for survivors of wartime era veterans only).
- Admission to the State Veterans Homes of New York (New York Department of Veterans Affairs).
- Request for military records and decorations.
- Discharge upgrade and correction of military records.
- Vocational Rehabilitation.
- VA home loan guarantee eligibility.
- Education benefits (VA).
- Disability life insurance and waiver of premiums
- Payment of proceeds of VA life insurance.
- Burial benefits (VA).
- Medical care/dental care at VA facilities.
- Approving agency for the State College Tuition Fee Waiver program for dependents of eligible veterans.
- Assist veterans and their survivors for placement in long-term care facility.
If you are unsure of where to find help, need aid to get started, or are just unsure of your entitled benefits, you can obtain assistance by calling the Veterans Service Office. An accredited Veterans Service Representative will assist you or direct you to the appropriate resource. The Veterans Service Office provides outreach services if veterans, their dependents and survivors cannot come to the office because of a disability.