The County Clerk's Office files and records various public documents. Examples include Deeds, Mortgages and Judgments. Click here to learn more about how to sign-up for alerts, to help identify if Fraud has occurred.
- County Clerk Services - Updated May 18, 2020: Public access to our office began on May 20th. Additional options for pistol permit amendments, if someone does not want to come in person, can be found below.
- The DMV is open, by appointment only. Click here to book an appointment. Please note an appointment does not eliminate a wait time while at the DMV, but it is greatly reduced. Visit the Cortland County DMV website for additional information.
- Passport Services - Beginning, May 20th Passport Services are available in the County Clerk's Office. Additional information, including current processing times - U.S. Department of State website @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Below are instructions on how to complete the amendment process by mail, along with the necessary forms. Customers are more than welcome to come to the office to complete the amendment process, as we opened to the public on May 20th.
- Amendment Instructions
- Pre-Approved Coupon Information and Signature Page
- Sample: What to complete on Amendment
- Blank Amendment @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Clerk of the Corporation
The County Clerk's Office is the official repository of all records created within the County such as Local Laws, certain resolutions, insurance policies, and county foreclosures. The County Clerk is the "Keeper of the Seal" and must place the seal on all official and financial indebtedness of the county.
The County Clerk's Office is one of the oldest offices in the state and carries with it a number of responsibilities.
Services provided by Cortland County Clerk's Office include:
- Civil Actions
- Criminal Actions
- Small Claims Assessment Review
- DBA (Doing Business as)
- IRS Small Business Tax and Resource Center
- UCC (Uniform Commercial Code)
- Pistol Permits
Online Records Search - No fee
Search, view, print and save public records, free of charge. Click here to access public records. If you have trouble viewing this website, please phone IQS, 1-800-320-2617 for assistance. Please note: Photocopies made in the County Clerk's office are $.65 per page with a $1.30 minimum (rate set by NYS).
The County Clerk is the County's Record Management Officer and is responsible for overseeing the Records Center on Port Watson Street in Cortland. The Clerk is responsible for retaining and disposing of records in accordance with the Record's Management Retention and Disposition Schedule, as put forth by the NYS Education Department and the NYS Office of Court Administration. Click here to view a copy of the County's Records Management Policy.
E-Recording & E-Filing
Fee Schedule (PDF).