- All pistol permits need to be recertified, every five years, from the date of issue, per Penal Law 400.00 (10)(b).
- Examples: Issued April 17, 1974 - complete by January 31, 2018. Issued March 1, 2013 - complete by March 1, 2018. Issued September 15, 2015 - complete by September 15, 2020.
- If a pistol permit holder misses the deadline, the state still requests that the process by completed.
- No fee to complete the process.
- This is a function processed by the New York State Police in Albany. The Cortland County Clerk's Office does not process the recertification.
- View the letter mailed to permit holders - Click here.
- Complete online or by mail.
- Forms are available at NYS Police locations, the Cortland County Clerk's Office or click here to download and print.
- For more information, questions and answers, click here.
- Click here to view additional information from the Cortland County Clerk - Elizabeth Larkin.
- To check the status of a recertification call 1-855-529-4867 or visit the website.
In New York State, a license is needed to possess a handgun at home, at a place of business, and to carry the handgun concealed.
The Cortland County Clerk's Office issues and receives all applications and amendments for pistol permits. Judge David C. Alexander and Judge Julie A. Campbell are the licensing officers of handguns, and licensing is completely within their discretion.
A license may be granted if the applicant:
- 21 years of age or older (age requirement does not apply to those honorably discharged from the military).
- Must reside, be principally employed or have a principal place of business as a merchant or storekeeper in Cortland County.
- Is of good moral character and has not been convicted of a "serious" offense (incl. violations and misdemeanors as set forth in section 265 Subd. 17, PL.)
- States if and when treatment received for a mental illness.
- Has "no good cause" existing for denial of the license.
Available at the Cortland County Clerk's Office for $10.
- Schedule an Appointment: Fingerprinting Service website or by calling their toll free call center at 1-877-472-6915. Service Code: 151HXZ
- Fee is approximately $100
- Two forms of identification at the fingerprinting location. At least one of these must have a photo.
- Completed application must be submitted to the Cortland County Clerk's office within 30 days of being fingerprinted.
Pistol permit photos for new applications may be taken at the County Clerk’s Office for a fee of $10.
All pistol permit holders must complete an approved safety course within one year of getting their pistol permit. Click here for a list of approved safety courses.
Must include make, model, caliber and serial number of each handgun.
$3 for each amendment to permit.
$5 for a duplicate card.
Permit TransferRequest a transfer with the County where the permit currently is active.
Call Janet Herrick at 607-753-5379.