Department of Motor Vehicles
Effective June 29th, Cortland County residents can use the "Book Appointment" option below to schedule an appointment at the DMV. Additional information regarding scheduling and services is available by clicking here.
At this time the Cortland County DMV is only able to provide services to Cortland County Residents. Please note booking an appointment does not always eliminate a wait time, but it is greatly reduced.
The Cortland County Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is a revenue generating office, bringing in dollars for your county. The majority of the money collected in the Cortland County DMV goes to New York State, with only 12.7% staying in Cortland County. That's why it is so important that all county residents renew locally!
DMV Drop Boxes
Use one of our conveniently located blue and white DMV Drop Boxes for your next renewal.
DMV Drop Boxes are at the following locations:
- Cortlandville Town Hall
- Homer Town Hall
- Cortland Courthouse
- Marathon - Old Town Hall on Brink Street
Get your driver's license or registration renewal back in approximately one week, not the three weeks or longer it takes to come back from Albany!
On September 16, 2008, the New York State of Motor Vehicle Office began issuing Enhanced Driver's Licenses, Learner's Permits, and Non-Driver Identification Cards. These highly secure documents are valid for driving, identity, and border crossings by land and sea to Mexico, Canada, Bermuda and the Caribbean. This document will also allow you access to board an airplane to fly within the continental United States.
To obtain one of these documents, you will need to apply in person at our Motor Vehicle office and provide proof of citizenship, identity and residence. For information on these requirements, you may visit our office and obtain forms ID-44EDL and MV44.1EDL. You may also obtain these forms by visiting the NYS DMV website. The cost of an EDL is $30 in addition to any other driver's license and document fees.
Click here for a comparison of driver's licenses and passports.
The Cortland County DMV offers issuance of Driver's Licenses of all kinds:
- Regular Operator Licenses (Class D)
- Junior Operator Licenses (Class DJ)
- Commercial Operators Licenses (Class A, B, C)
- With endorsements
- Motorcycle Licenses (Class M)
- Enhanced Driver's License
Video: Which Driver's License or Identification is right for you?
Video: Changes on identification requirements effective October 2020
Remember to check the NYS DMV website for the required documents needed for each type of license.
On February 1, 2002, standards were implemented for identification requirements. To obtain a non-driver ID card, driver license or learner permit or to register a vehicle, you are required to show 6 points of ID for proof of name, and one proof of date of birth. This is a state regulation. For more information on acceptable proof of name and date of birth please refer to the NYS DMV website.
- Registrations for boats, snowmobiles, trailers, tractors, and all types of vehicles
- Transfer of new and used vehicles
- Enforcement Transactions (conditional and restricted licenses)
- Written tests for Learner Permits (all classes)
- Road test appointments arranged
- IRP transactions (tractor trailers)
- Reciprocity (transferring from another state to NY.S.)
- Car Dealer's transactions
- Renewal of all vehicle and operator's licenses
- Non-Driver ID (secure form of identification)
- Voter Registration
- Vision tests given and new photos recommended for renewal and duplicate licenses.