Cortland County Recycling Center Policies
- No smoking
- One vehicle allowed in the facility for unloading at a time.
- Safety vests must be worn while unloading recyclables.
- Follow all other posted policies.
- Follow all directives of Cortland County Recycling Center employees while using the facility. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Glass Separation InformationCut Costs:
- Glass is the heaviest material in the single stream system
- Cortland County pays by the ton for recyclables to be transferred to a MRF
(Materials Recycling Facility)
- Less Glass = Less Weight = Lower Costs
- Glass makes up almost 20% (by weight) of our recyclables
- Glass material can greatly reduce the life of machinery and equipment
- We can reduce trucking and lower green house gas emissions by using materials for beneficial uses locally at our own landfill
- Beneficial uses include lining ditches, building roads, etc...
Make an Impact:
- The recycling markets are quickly changing and new companies who use recycled materials are starting as an outcome to the current challenges in the recycling market
- By separating our glass we are not only able to use it for other purposes locally but we are creating a cleaner, more marketable product that we will be more likely to receive revenue for in the future
Contamination InformationThe Average Single Stream Recycling Contamination Rate is 25%
- Please make sure all recyclable containers are clean and empty
- Plastic bags are NOT recyclable and plug up recycling equipment
- In 2020 plastic shopping bags are scheduled to be illegal in NY
- Styrofoam and foam food containers are currently not accepted
- Paper towels, tissues, and bathroom waste are not recyclable
All contaminated items brought to the County Recycling Facility have to be transported to the landfill increasing costs and decreasing efficiency
If you have ANY questions about acceptable items contact the Cortland County Recycling Coordinator at (607) 753-5191
ElectronicsThese items are currently accepted (at no cost) at the Recycling Center:
- Computers (desktops, laptops)
- Small Scale Servers
- Computer peripherals, including: Computer monitors; electronic keyboards; electronic mice or similar pointing device; fax machines that weigh less than 100 pounds; scanners that weigh less than 100 pounds; printers that weigh less than 100 pounds
- Small electronic equipment, including: Portable digital music players that have memory capability and are battery-powered; video cassette recorders; DVD players; DVR's; digital converter boxes; cable or satellite receivers; and electronic or video game consoles.
- Cell Phones
Please call 607-753-5191 with any questions regarding the Electronic Recycling Program, or see the E-Waste Flyer under Useful Documents.
Businesses and Commercial users please make an appointment by calling 607-753-5191.
PAINTS and STAINS can ONLY be brought directly to the Recycling Center on Pendleton St. DO NOT put it out for your hauler to take. Paints and Stains MUST be checked in by a staff member at the facility. Please see information below on what can and cannot be accepted. Call 607-753-5191 if you have questions.