- Public Safety
- Emergency Response & Communications
- Responder Information
- Dan Newton Scholarship
Dan Newton Scholarship
Dan Newton was a member of the Homer Fire Department for over 50 years. He served as an Assistant Chief, held numerous company offices, and was an honorary member in at least six other county fire departments. He served as a Deputy Fire Coordinator in charge of communications, since the mid seventies. He was responsible for the creation of a communication channel that allows all the county fire dispatch centers in New York State to communicate with each other providing for immediate assistance and sharing of department resources from other counties. He was widely respected by all emergency responders throughout all of New York State.
This fund was established by the Cortland County Chiefs Association as a tribute to Dan Newton and to assist individuals who are attempting to improve themselves and their community through academic achievement at the college level. The scholarship is offered based upon merit to individuals pursuing higher education at an accredited institution of higher learning. The Cortland County Chiefs Association recognizes the professional diversity represented within the fire service memberships and the value of encouraging its continuance. Therefore, all students meeting eligibility requirements and enrolled in matriculated college level programs will be considered for the Cortland County Chiefs Association Dan Newton Scholarship Fund.
This scholarship program is open to any student who is pursuing a degree in fire science, engineering, medical studies, or public administration, This scholarship program is also open to any student who is a member in good standing of a Cortland County Fire Department, or a child of any firefighter in good standing with a Cortland County Fire Department. The scholarship will be made to those individuals pursuing a higher education, attending junior college, four-year colleges, or universities, and working toward an associates or bachelors degree.
Scholarship Awards & Rules
- One scholarship of $250 will be available on a yearly basis from the Cortland County Chiefs Association.
- Scholarship is to be applied to help offset the cost of educational materials.
- Recipient can attend a junior college, four-year college or university, or be working towards an associates degree or bachelor’s degree.
- The scholarship recipient will be announced at the Cortland County Fire Chiefs May meeting.
Required Material for Consideration
- A Completed Application.
- Two letters of recommendation. One from a school advisor or teacher and the second from a non-family source.
- Those students serving as a member in good standing in a Cortland County Fire Department and pursuing higher education, shall provide a letter from their Fire Chief stating their service and standing with the department, as well as, a letter from a school advisor or teacher and the third from a non-family source.
- Those students who are the children of a firefighter in good standing in a Cortland County Fire Department and pursuing higher education shall provide a letter from the parent or guardians Fire Chief stating their service and standing with the department, as well as, a letter from a school advisor or teacher and the third from a non-family source.
- Transcript of last year of school.
Judgment of Application
The Cortland County Fire Chiefs Association when judging applicants will consider the following criteria:
- Scholastic achievement
- Recommendations and references
- Overall career goals
- Applicant’s program and courses selected and their relationship to the scholarship program objective
- Submitting Required Materials
Scholarships must be submitted by April 1st of each year. All required materials shall be included. If any items are missing, the candidate will not be considered for an award. Submit all required materials to:
Dan Newton Scholarship Fund
Cortland County Fire and Emergency Management Office
60 Central Avenue
Cortland, NY 13045
Assemble your application package in the following order:
- Completed application form
- Transcript of last year of school
- Letters of reference
Contact Deputy Director Courtney Metcalf at 753-5064.