Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
Effective February 28, 2019 the Weights and Measures Department adopted a Penalty Policy. To view the full policy please click here.
Under Article 16 Section 180 of the New York State Agriculture and Markets Law, “there shall be a County Director of Weights and Measures”, the duty of which includes:
1. Inspect and or test all commercially used weighing and measuring devices and systems at least once a year.
2. Perform test buys and do investigations to ensure proper business practices involving transactions based on weight, measure, or count.
3. Keep and maintain the applicable standards of weights and measures and submit those standards to the New York State Metrology Lab at least once every 5 years for certification.
4. Perform petroleum sampling and do investigation at the retail level for the New York State Petroleum Quality Program. (Funded by New York State)
5. Keep and maintain records of inspections, consumer complaints, fees, penalties collected, establishment list, etc. for both New York Agriculture and Markets as well as the County.
The Department of Weights and Measures is responsible for the fair commerce between consumers and businesses, taking both parties interest in mind.