Child Care Assistance Program

The Child Care Assistance Program can help pay childcare providers for the time that parents/caretakers are engaged in work or a qualifying activity.


*** If you are receiving Temporary Assistance or in receipt of Child Protective/Preventive Services as part of a therapeutic service plan, please check with your worker to find out if childcare can be paid for from your existing case***

The Child Care Assistance Program is available to:

-Cortland County residents who are working and earn less than 300% of the
 state income standard
-Participating in a qualifying educational program 
-the child is under 13 years old
Families in other circumstances may also qualify for a childcare subsidy.  Contact us (by phone at 607-753-5230) to find out how we can help!

Family Size 300% State Income Standard
1 $40,770
2 $54,930
3 $69,090
4 $83,250
5 $97,410
6 $111,570
7 $125,730
8 $139,890
9 $154,050
10 $168,210
11 $182,370
12 $196,530

Parent Fee
Families eligible for childcare subsidies are required to pay a portion of their childcare expenses directly to their childcare provider weekly. The Parent Fee is calculated by taking the portion of the household’s annual gross income that is above the Federal Poverty Level, multiplying by 10% and dividing by 52 weeks:

The minimum weekly parent fee is generally $1.00. There are some circumstances that would exempt families from paying the parent fee. Some examples are families that have child protective/preventive cases or have only temporary custody/guardianship of a child.

Family Size Federal Poverty Level
1 $12,880
2 $17,240
3 $21,960
4 $26,500
5 $31,040
6 $35,580


Contact Us

Child Care

(607) 753-5230

To apply for Child Care Assistance in Cortland County: 

  • You must complete all sections of the application and submit it to our office. You can contact our office at (607) 753-5230 for more information or to have an application mailed to you.  Application forms may be picked up in our office from 8:30 to 4:30, Monday through Friday, or printed though the following links:

                     •   Application for Child Care Assistance OCFS-6025
                     •  How to complete the Application for Childcare Assistance OCFS-6026

Important: In addition to a completed application, you will need to provide several types of supporting documentation.

Completed applications and required documentation can be submitted by drop off at the county office building or mailed to:

          Child Care Assistance

          Cortland County DSS

          60 Central Ave.

          Cortland, NY 13045

For help finding a childcare provider
Child Development Council
607-753-0106 ext 301 or visit the 'find childcare' page of their website. 
 If you are interested in becoming a childcare provider the Child Development Council can help. 
607-753-0106 ext 303 or visit the 'providers' page of their website. 

For additional information on subsidized childcare visit